Washington, D.C., January 16, 2015 – The Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS) announced finalists for the prestigious ALIS Awards. Among these finalists are executives and companies who are responsible for the most influential hotel industry deals in 2014.
The winners will be announced on Tuesday, January 27, during the ALIS conference, which runs from January 26-28 at the JW Marriott and Nokia Theatre at L.A. LIVE. Nominees for the awards are evaluated based on outstanding business performance in various industry sectors. This year’s finalists are:
Development of the Year 2014
- Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort – Orlando, FL: The 443-room Four Seasons Resort Orlando, located at Walt Disney World® Resort, was developed by Silverstein Properties and is managed by Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.
- Marriott Marquis Washington, D.C. – Washington, D.C.: The 1,175-room Marriott Marquis Washington, D.C. was developed by Quadrangle Development and Capstone Development, and is managed by Marriott International.
- SLS Las Vegas – Las Vegas, NV: The more than 1,600-room SLS Las Vegas was developed by sbe’s Dakota Development and Stockbridge Capital Group, LLC and is managed by sbe.
Single Asset Transaction of the Year 2014
- Diplomat Resort & Spa – Hollywood, FL: Thayer Lodging Group acquired the 998-room Diplomat Resort & Spa in Hollywood, FL from the Plumbers & Pipe Fitters Pension Fund for $535 million in an off-market transaction.
- InterContinental New York Barclay – New York, NY: Constellation Barclay Holding US, LLC acquired an 80% interest in the 685-room InterContinental New York Barclay in New York, NY from IHG for $240 million with IHG holding the remaining 20%.
- The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort – Miami Beach, FL: Al Rayyan Tourism Investment Company (ARTIC), a subsidiary of Al Faisal Holding, acquired the 207-room oceanfront St Regis Bal Harbour Resort in Miami Beach, FL from Starwood Hotels & Resorts for $213 million.
Merger & Acquisition of the Year 2014
- NorthStar Realty Finance Corp. acquired from an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management L.P. (Cerberus) an approximate 90% interest in a $1.1 billion portfolio of 47 hotels owned by a joint venture between Cerberus and Chatham Lodging Trust. The Portfolio consists of upscale extended stay and premium branded select service hotels located across the United States containing approximately 6,100 rooms.
- Lone Star Funds acquired 38 hotels from Hyatt Hotels Corporation for an estimated $590MM.
- NorthStar Realty Finance Corp. in partnership with Chatham Lodging Trust acquired a $1.1 billion portfolio of 48 hotels from Inland American Real Estate Trust Inc. The Portfolio consists of upscale extended stay and premium branded select service hotels located across the United States containing approximately 6,400 rooms.
Jack A. Shaffer Financial Advisor of the Year 2014
- Lou Plasencia, CEO, The Plasencia Group
- Roy March, CEO, Eastdil Secured
- John Strauss, Managing Director, Jones Lang LaSalle
Co-hosted by the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA) and Burba Hotel Network (BHN), the two-and-a-half-day ALIS event features an extensive array of seminars and panels hosted by leading experts and investors discussing important trends and identifying new opportunities. The conference attracts the lodging industry’s leading hotel executives, investors, lenders, developers, and professional advisory community. Proceeds from ALIS benefit the educational, research, and training missions of the American Hotel & Lodging Education Foundation (AH&LEF), AH&LA’s nonprofit affiliate. For more information on the Foundation, visit www.ahlef.org.
Online registration is available via the ALIS Website. For general event information and sponsorship opportunities, contact BHN Conference Manager Jodi Braverman at email@example.com.
# # #
Serving the hospitality industry for more than a century, the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA) is the sole national association representing all segments of the 1.8 million-employee U.S. lodging industry, including hotel owners, REITs, chains, franchisees, management companies, independent properties, state hotel associations, and industry suppliers. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., AH&LA provides focused advocacy, communications support, and educational resources for an industry generating $155.5 billion in annual sales from 4.9 million guestrooms.
AH&LEF is the charitable fund-raising and endowed fund-management subsidiary of the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Founded in 1953, AH&LEF is the premier organization for scholarships, professional certification, and instructional material as well as funding for hospitality industry research.
BHN is the worldwide leader in developing and organizing conferences for the hotel and tourism investment community. With almost three decades of experience, nearly 120 events completed to-date, and over 80,000 international delegates, BHN conferences have become “must attend” events for industry leaders who come together to network, conduct business and to learn about the latest trends. BHN events include: the Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS) in Los Angeles; ALIS Law in Los Angeles; ALIS Summer Update; Alternative Ownership Conference Asia Pacific (AOCAP) in Singapore; Caribbean Hotel & Resort Investment Summit (CHRIS) in Miami; Hotel Investment Conference Asia Pacific (HICAP) in Hong Kong; HICAP UPDATE in Singapore; Hotel Investment Forum India (HIFI) in Gurgaon Delhi N.C.R.; Hotel Opportunities Latin America (HOLA) conference in Miami; and Hotel Investment Conference Europe (Hot.E) in London. The BHN website at www.Burba.com is the gateway for information about the conferences BHN produces, as well as a direct link to important players in the hospitality investment world.